The 3G mobile networks are gradually being switched off over the next few years. Here’s what this means for you as a customer.
The UK’s mobile services currently use four different ‘generations’ of mobile technology: 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G. The 3G networks have been around since 2003 and are used to deliver calls, texts, and lower speed data services.
Providers are switching off their networks at different times
Each mobile provider is setting its own timetable for its 3G network switch-off. These timings might change and you should check your mobile provider’s website for the latest update:
● Vodafone is starting its switch-off in early 2023.
● EE plans to start its switch-off in early 2024.
● Three expects to switch-off by the end of 2024.
● O2 has not yet announced any switch-off plans.
These are the four main mobile network providers in the UK. All other mobile companies provide their services over these networks. For example:
● Lebara Mobile, Asda Mobile and Talk Mobile use the Vodafone network. Virgin Mobile also currently uses the Vodafone network, but will move to the O2 network in future.
● Your Co-op, Utility Warehouse, Plusnet and BT Mobile use the EE network.
● ID Mobile uses the Three network.
● Tesco Mobile, Giffgaff, Sky Mobile and Lycamobile use the O2 network. 3G switch-off timings for these providers will be the same as the network they are using.
What do you need to do to ensure your system is not affected?
As a client you will need the software of your system reconfigured.
This can be carried out in two different ways:
MSS can have an engineer call to carry out a health check and update the software on site for a fee to be agreed with the operations team
If you currently have a maintenance contract, the callout and reconfiguration can be done as part of your maintenance plan.
MSS always advises the client to have a maintenance plan in place, like any other products or services these systems require health checks to ensure optimum performance.
If you want to discuss your maintenance options before the switch off, use the contact details below to get in touch with the operations team.
+44 1442 780741